- Spammers will illegally buy lists of real people's email addresses.
- Spammers will use "harvesting" programs that scour the Internet like Google, and copy any text that contains the "@" character.
- Spammers will use "dictionary" (brute force) programs like hackers.
- You will unwittingly volunteer your email address to dishonest subscribe/unsubscribe online services.
- Disguise your email address using obfuscation
- Use a disposable email address
- Use an email address encoding tool for publishing your address on your website or blog
- Avoid confirming an "unsubscribe" request from a newsletter you do not know. Simply delete the email.