Wednesday, October 3, 2012

TV Anchor Gets Called Fat, Has an Awesome Response

http://mashable.com/2012/10/02/tv-anchor-fat-bullying/?WT.mc_id=en_top_storie...




An anchor for a CBS affiliate in LaCrosse, Wisc., took what could have been a hurtful comment from a viewer and turned it into a powerful tirade against online bullying.

Jennifer Livingston of WKBT-TV read a letter from a viewer who took issue with the fact that she is overweight. “Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain,” the viewer wrote. “I leave you this note hoping that you’ll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.”

Livingston’s husband, fellow WKBT anchor Mike Thompson, posted the emailed letter on his Facebook Page and received an outpouring of support. Emboldened by this, Livingston singled the writer out as a bully. “The truth is I am overweight,” Livingston said. “You can call me fat and yes, even obese on a doctor’s chart. To the person who wrote me that letter, do you think I don’t know that? Your cruel words are pointing out something I don’t see? You don’t know me. You are not a friend of mine. You are not a part of my family, and you admitted that you don’t watch this show so you know nothing about me besides what you see on the outside — and I am much more than a number on a scale.”

She continued: “We are better than that bully. We are better than this email. We are better than the bullies that would try to take us down.”

What do you think? Were you impressed by Livingston’s response? Let us know in the comments.


No comments: